AdSense

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

New Places To Walk

I finally feel like I have crossed over into the getting serious category. I am usually walking twice a day now, once in the morning, and once at lunch. I am finding that I am feeling so much better. I am thinking clearer, and I find that my afternoon walks have really helped to reduce my stress level at work, and help me get through the afternoon, without that afternoon drag. My knee pain is pretty well gone, except for when I am getting up from a really low seat, or the floor. And my energy level is increasing!

I have been struggling with getting bored with always seeing t
he same old stuff when I walk, and it was starting to frustrate me, however. So I started doing some investigating. And thanks to a great website I found, Utah Walks, I came across some fun new places to explore! This is a great website for promoting a healthy Utah! It provides a calendar where you can track the miles that you walk, and it will also graph your weight change as you progress! They have an entire section of maps as well that have great ideas for new, and different places to walk! It is really a great site to look into.

So for today's walk I used one of the Golden Medal Mile courses. These are tracks
that were set up for the 2002 Olympics, as part of the get healthy Utah program. And I am able to track all my new walking in the website's Walk Tracker that tracks how far you walk each day. The track I used today was the Jordan River Parkway. It is a great little walking course because it is off the beaten path. There isn't a lot of traffic, and it runs parallel to the Jordan River. It is exactly one mile, so it is easy to know how far you have gone, and they have provided mile markers along the way. I know this track has been extended significantly. But it is a wonderful, paved course, with the sound of the running water, and the wildlife.

This has given me a whole new incentive for trying to locate new places for walking. I am excited about what I have found, and I am looking forward to trying out new places, and seeing new sights!

2 comments:

nona said...

Keep up the good work. You will start to see some real weight loss soon and that should be even more motivation. Thank You!!!
I love this web site and maps. I can't believe this existed and I didn't know about it. I can't wait to start exploring.

Lisa said...

From Bob

that's awesome. now that you are in a groove, i want to start getting specific about fine tuning your plan. here are 4 questions for you. 1. how and what is your breakfast? 2. are you starting your day with a glass of water? 3. are you doing any upper body muscle exercises yet? 4. what vitamins/supplements are you taking?

keep it up. i like the walking twice a day idea. thats wonderful. just try not to get wet this week.